Friday, April 4, 2014

Trip to California


Last weekend I got to participate in one of those life events I wouldn't have missed for the whole world. My good friend, Estelle, got married in the Newport Beach temple. I flew down for two days and stayed with my sister. I attended the sealing which was emotional and special to all who attended. The reception was fun and it was nice to see so many people I know. I just love being in California. It feels like home. And I'm so happy for Estelle!

The flight there was easy enough. I nursed Ava to sleep and she was calm the whole time. It was nice to have an hour to read a book! That's a rare commodity in my life. I sat by a nice man who was aware and respectful of breastfeeding and seemed to understand. The flight home was a different story. Ava was having a decidedly harder time and because standing up to bounce and sway wasn't a feasible option, I nursed her several short times and this time I wasn't sitting next to people near as understanding as before. People were positively staring. I only brought one blanket and was using it to swaddle her, so I was not covering up. Don't get me wrong, I was plenty modest and nobody would have seen anything unless they leaned over and put their face in her face, but that didn't stop the stares. The obnoxious, obvious kind. The man next to me did not seem like a family man and seemed very uncomfortable. The rows next to me were filled with teenage girls who were in a group traveling together. All of them staring. I was so uncomfortable for at least half of the flight. Then, Ava started to calm down a little and I realized that my example may bare fruit someday. One day when one of those girls has a baby, she might think "Breastfeeding is okay" or "I can breastfeed in public," all because some crazy lady sat across from her on an airplane and openly breastfed.


3 comments:

Lynne said...

I am happy you had such a wonderful trip to California. I remember breastfeeding on an airplane. Usually, however, I was sitting in the front row of the plane so there wasn't quite the same audience...that was back when we used to get first class seats. When Justin was a baby, they even had a little bassinet that hooked to the divider on the plane, so they really tried to put me in that front seat! It was a wonderful experience and once he was asleep, I could lay him in the bassinet until we start our descent for landing.

Liz said...

You're so kind to notice starers. I just ignore them and go about my business. :) There are women in my ward who will now nurse in sacrament meeting because I did it. I used a wrap, but I just didn't see the need to leave unless there was a problem.
Oh, funny story . . . Once I was nursing Michael on a plane and the flight attendant obviously didn't notice because she asked me to hold something for her which I proceeded to watch fall to the floor as she tried to dump it on my 'lap'/baby. She wasn't asking but just dropping, and my answer was no. :) Don't drop your stuff on my baby or you'll have to pick it up off the floor.

Denise said...

It was so fun to hang with you at the wedding. And way to go! It's difficult getting those stares but you're doing the best thing for her :)